Thursday, April 28, 2022

Just A Boy and His Technology (Final)

 It sounds funny to say that you were “raised by technology” but in my case, it is honestly true. Adding on to that I think I might be a part of the first generation to say that as well. Back in the day, the youth had the radio and eventually television to keep them entertained but for people of my age, we live and breathe by technology. So much so that there are millions of people across the country with what is not called “smart homes” where technology brings your house to life more than ever. With a focus on communication, technology has also greatly affected me and my entire generation. Hard to say if that is a good thing or a bad thing though. I guess it truly depends on how you look at it. Being raised by technology has been great but of course, it comes with its benefits and drawbacks. 

 

Probably the biggest influence technology has had over me is social media. Social media has completely evolved human connections and changed how we perceive the world. In the palm of my hands, I can see trends and news from across the globe or direct message someone as famous as Beyoncé and pray for a response. That level of connectivity is very specific to this era of life and it’s extremely amazing. However, it is not always sunshine and rainbows. Social media has desensitized many people as well. This desensitization has led to an uprising of people believing that ignorance and intolerance are something that can pass for a joke. It also has made people more skeptical. These combined factors can also lead the internet to become a rather toxic place. 

 

I often find myself thinking that I could never survive in a pre-internet era. I depend entirely too much on it. The idea of using a physical map while driving or having to buy an entire album just to hear one song gives me a headache. The convenience of having all of those luxuries right in my pocket is a real blessing. I’ve never been one to romanticize the nostalgia of the dark ages before the internet. I like my life with all of the amenities I have today, thank you very much. 

 

This intense level of communication is also the reason why I have a desired career. My major of social media and digital communications would not exist 20 years ago. It is only in today’s age that I can spread my wings and feel comfortable in the work I want to do. 

 

All in all, communication really can be a pain. Sometimes it is too invasive, too clunky, or even too overly complicated. However, I know for a fact that without it my life would be a hundred times more boring and I am better with it. You don’t have to be addicted to having fun with it, just use it in moderation and make sure you stay protected while online. I can honestly say that I love the way modern technology influences my life. 


The Guy Who Returned to Facebook (Sketch)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I Get My News From

 News isn't something I actively seek. I find it depressing or extremely biased. Fluff pieces can also be quite a headache. So really I ...